- The new COOLPIX S5100 has been developed to enable the simple, blur-free capture of night shots with less noise. It is equipped with features that enable the simple capture of beautiful night shots.
- Equipped with five functions that enable capture of beautiful night shots in difficult dimly lit or dark surroundings.
1. Low noise at high sensitivities - Optimisation of the new image-processing engine, EXPEED C2, developed in accordance with Nikon’s own image-processing concept, offers support for high sensitivities. Superior noise-reduction processing technology reduces noise and ensures excellent image quality in pictures taken at sensitivities up to ISO 1600 with automatic ISO sensitivity adjustment, and up to ISO 3200 with manual ISO sensitivity specification.
2. Motion detection - The camera detects camera shake and subject movement with shooting, and automatically compensates by controlling shutter speed and ISO sensitivity.
3. Lens-shift vibration reduction (VR) function - Blurring caused by camera shake is reduced to a degree equivalent to a three-stop increase in shutter speed.
4. Flash control - High-sensitivity sync: Enables bright, natural looking photos with less blur, even in dimly lit or dark surroundings. Wide area backlighting identification algorithm: Reduces the number of unsatisfactory shots taken in backlight situations for more beautiful photos.
5. Handheld/tripod night landscape detection function - When shooting night landscapes and other night shots, the camera automatically distinguishes between handheld shooting and shooting using a tripod, and then adjusts ISO sensitivity and shutter speed accordingly. This is the first Nikon camera equipped with the handheld/tripod night landscape detection function, which enables capture of night shots with less blur. This function makes it possible to capture beautiful photos, as intended, with shooting of night scenes that, until now, have often been blurred. With handheld shooting: By automatically increasing ISO sensitivity and shutter speed, night shots with less blur are possible. When a tripod is used: By automatically decreasing ISO sensitivity and shutter speed, brighter night shots with less noise are possible.
- Superior high-speed response that consistently captures the moment. With a power-up time of approximately 0.75 s, an autofocusing time of approximately 0.22 s, and a shooting time lag of roughly 0.3 s, the camera responds immediately to sudden photo opportunities and moving subjects. The COOLPIX S5100 offers the high-speed response that never misses those once-in-a-lifetime shots. Power-up time measured according to CIPA guidelines. Autofocusing time and shooting time lag measured according to Nikon standards: 28mm focal length (equivalent in 35mm  format), shooting distance of 2m, ambient brightness of LV 10; images recorded to 4-GB Class 10 SDHC memory card
- High-definition movie recording. The COOLPIX S5100 is equipped with a high-definition (1280 x 720, 30 fps) movie recording function for preserving exciting and memorable experiences in full. A dedicated movie-record button enables quick and simple movie recording.
- Effective pixel count of 12.2 million pixels and a wide-angle 5x optical zoom NIKKOR lens
- An elegant design that is slim and agile and a variety of color options. By emphasising the rounded form with more curving around the edges, the design makes the camera appear slimmer and more agile. The black finish on the rear of the camera also emphasises its slim shape. The camera has been designed with great attention to even the smallest details, including adoption of diamond cutting and a metal ring around the lens. The COOLPIX S5100 will also be available in five colors, from the most basic to more light-hearted and fun colors.
- A wide variety of shooting functions that enable simple capture of beautiful photos
1. The BSS (best shot selector) function with which the camera automatically shoots a series of up to ten sequential frames and saves the one with the sharpest focus
2. Smart portrait mode for simpler capture of beautiful portraits
3.The subject tracking function with which the camera automatically tracks the subject detected with face-priority AF
4. Scene auto selector with which the camera identifies the type of subject and automatically applies the optimum settings