- 12.1 Million pixels and a 10x optical zoom
An effective pixel count of 12.1 million pixels and a 10x optical zoom NIKKOR lens with a zoom range beginning at the wide-angle 30mm focal length (equivalent with 35mm format)
- Superior functions that enable clearer capture of dark scenes, available only from Nikon
* Advanced technology for beautiful night shots – Four enhancements which enable capture of night landscape blur-free images, portraits in dimly-lit indoors or when the portrait subject is backlit.
* Less noise at high sensitivities – The new image-processing engine EXPEED C2 supports high sensitivities. Its superior noise reduction processing technology enables the capture of clearer, blur-free pictures with very little noise. With a maximum sensitivity of ISO 3200 at the largest image size (12M 4000 × 3000), users can enjoy worry-free shooting even in dark or dimly lit situations.
* Lens-shift + electronic vibration reduction (VR) function – Two high-performance vibration reduction (VR) functions‚lens-shift and electronic‚can be used simultaneously. When taking photos with the maximum telephoto zoom position, effective vibration reduction is equal to an increase in shutter speed up to four stops. This eliminates the need for a tripod in dark places and enables capture of beautiful photos with simple hand-held shooting.
* Motion detection – When the camera detects camera shake and subject movement, it compensates these automatically by controlling shutter speed and ISO sensitivity to reduce blurring. This function is also convenient for freezing a moving subject.
* Flash Control – The camera provides optimal flash control according to shooting conditions. In dark surroundings, the camera automatically adjusts shutter speed to suppress the blur caused by camera shake, while increasing ISO sensitivity for exposure of the background portions that the flash does not reach. When shooting backlit portraits, the camera automatically recognises the subjects face and controls its flash and focus each time.
- High-speed performance of the CMOS image sensor maximised with a high-speed continuous auto-overlay function
The CMOS image sensor is capable of processing a huge volume of image data at incredibly high speed. This feature is maximised with the high-speed continuous auto-overlay function which reduces blur and noise with a high level of precision.
* Enhanced Night Portrait mode – New technology enables capture of bright, natural photos that reproduce scenes more accurately by combining background images captured continuously at high speed with varying exposure levels and a flash-lit portrait subject. The portrait subject is brightly lit while the ambience of the background is preserved, enabling beautiful souvenir photos of a night at the amusement park or a dimly-lit indoor party with friends, via hand-held shooting.
* Night Landscape mode for clearer photos with hand-held shooting – Images captured continuously at high speed with a low ISO sensitivity setting (for less noise) are combined and recorded as a single blur-free image with very little noise. This allows users to capture beautiful night landscapes via hand-held shooting.
* Backlighting mode that prevents loss of detail in highlights and shadows – When shooting scences with differnt levels of brightness, and two consecutive images are captured at varying exposures, HDR in “Back-lighting mode” transforms the images into a single vivid photo with no loss of detail of its highlights or shadows.
- High-speed continuous shooting of beautiful photos at the maximum image size (12M 4000 × 3000)
Users can enjoy high-speed continuous shooting of up to five images at up to 12 megapixels each with superior image quality at approximately 10 fps (at a continuous setting of ‘Continuous’). In ‘Sports Continuous’ mode, ultra high-speed shooting of up to 54 photos at approximately 120 fps is possible. This allows the capture of movement by fast athletes, kids or pets. In addition, a pre-shooting cache is also used to record up to two shots before the shutter-release button is fully pressed. *Image size is fixed at “1M (1280 × 960)” in sport continuous mode.
- 1080p HD movie recording with stereo sound and the ability to record still images during movie recording
The CMOS image sensor enables high-quality recording of 1080p HD video (1920 × 1080 pixels), even in dark surroundings. During video recording, optical zoom can be used for flexible wide-angle and close-up recording. You can capture still images during recording, and edit using in-camera video editing functions. *The size of still images captured during video recording varies according to the type of video being recorded.
- Bright and clear 3-inch, approximately 921k-dot TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle
With a monitor approximately 1.5x brighter than previous models, the display is now easier to see when viewed outdoors under sunny skies, and indoors where light reflections on the monitor surface can be problematic. The display for the large, ultra high-resolution monitor is crisp and vivid, and uses a clear color panel. The monitor can be viewed from any angle and is designed for optimal viewing in both shooting and playback operations.
- An elegant design incorporating functionality and style
The COOLPIX S8100 has been designed with aesthetics and ease of use and includes features for superior operation, such as a mode dial that allows for the smooth selection of shooting modes.Offering style and functionality, the S8100 will be a valued photographic tool for years to come.
- Other features
* Macro photography with shooting as close to the lens as 1 cm (0.4 in.)
* Creative slider for simple pre-shooting adjustment of image brightness, vividness and hue using a sample image displayed in the monitor
* Scene auto-selector with which the camera automatically identifies the scene and applies the optimal scene mode
* Adjustment of portrait photos that smoothes skin tones