1. Nikon optical technologies for stunning landscapes and night landscapes
The camera is equipped with a backside illumination CMOS sensor with which each pixel receives light more efficiently for superior high-speed performance. Desired images are achieved with the specified scene mode through automatic adjustment of ISO sensitivity and/or shutter speed settings for high-speed capture of multiple shots that are then combined for beautiful night portraits and pictures taken under dim lighting, night landscapes, and backlit scenes.
- Night Landscape mode: When Night Landscape scene mode is selected, the camera automatically captures several shots at a fast shutter speed and then combines the shots to create a single optimised photo, preserving beautiful, high-quality photos of night landscapes, such as scenes including city or holiday lights, without using a tripod.
- Backlighting mode: When the HDR (high dynamic range) setting is enabled in Backlighting mode with shooting of high-contrast scenes, the camera captures three consecutive shots at varying exposure and combines the three for a single photo with no loss of detail in highlights or shadows, and a broader range of tones. Three HDR settings are available for selection according to the level of contrast exhibited by the scene.
The camera is equipped with a number of shooting and in-camera image editing functions that allow users to enjoy mastering the camera with manual operations. In addition to [P] programmed auto, [A] aperture-priority auto, [S] shutter-priority auto, and [M] manual exposure modes, the camera offers a number of features that can be combined for maximum flexibility in expressing individual user creativity. Among these features are 8-fps high-speed continuous shooting at the maximum image size (12M 4000 x 3000), a Creative Slider and Special Effects for applying effects with shooting, Filter Effects that can be applied with image playback, and an Easy Panorama function for capturing horizontal or vertical panorama photos.
- Special Effects: Special effects can be applied with shooting, enabling users to capture photos with colors and tones that suit their intent. Soft, High Key, Low Key, Nostalgic Sepia and High-contrast Monochrome options are available.
- Filter Effects: Easily apply filter effects to photos already taken without using a computer. Cross Screen, Fisheye, Miniature Effect and Painting options are available.
- Easy Panorama: Easily create dynamic vertical or horizontal panorama photos. Angle of view can be selected from 180° (normal) and 360° (wide). The user need simply move the camera in the desired direction using the guides displayed, and the camera automatically recognises the direction in which shots should progress. Multiple shots are then combined in a single panorama photo.
A bright, approximately 921k-dot TFT LCD monitor with anti-reflection coating has been adopted. This enables clear viewing of beautiful, high-resolution images even outside on sunny days or inside a brightly lit room.
In addition, the expanded color reproduction range covers a broader range of colors for reproduction of almost the entire sRGB gamut.
The camera is equipped with functions for recording full HD movies (1920 x 1080 pixels) with stereo sound. The Creative Slider and Special Effects can also be used with movies, and optical zoom can be applied or adjusted during movie recording. In addition, dramatic movies recorded using the HS Movie function can be played back in slow motion at 1/4 or 1/2 the normal playback speed, or in fast motion at twice the normal playback speed. Full HD movies recorded with the camera can be played back on a TV with an HDMI connector, and the camera's support for the CEC feature for HDMI enables playback control using the TV's remote control.
Type of Camera
Compact digital camera
12.2 million pixels
Image Size (Pixels)
4,000x3,000 (12M High), 4,000x3,000 (12M), 3,264x2,448 (8M), 2,592x1,944 (5M), 2,048x1,536 (3M), 1,024x768 (PC), 640x480 (VGA), 3968x2232 (16:9)
4.2x Zoom; f=4.3-17.9mm / F1.8-4.9
Lens shift VR
Up to 2x
Normal mode: 30cm, Macro: 3cm
LCD Monitor Size
3.0"; 921,000-dot, TFT LCD monitor with anti-reflection coating
SD memory cards (SDHC and SDXC compliant;) and internal memory (approx. 90MB)
Compressed [JPEG (EXIF )], mono/wav file, MOV movie
Auto mode, Scene modes, Movie mode, P, S, A, and M exposure modes, Night Landscape, Backlit Scene HDR
Scene Auto Selector, Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night Portrait, Party/indoor, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Dusk/dawn, Close-up, Food, Museum, Fireworks show, Black and White Copy, Panorama, Pet portrait, Special effects
Single, Continuous (approx. 8 fps up to 7 shots), BSS (Best Shot Selector), Multi-shot 16 (16 frames with a single burst), Continuous H:120 fps (1280x960, up to 60 shots), Continuous H: 60 fps (1280x960, up to 60 shots)
HD1080p High (1920x1080), HD1080p (1920x1080), HD720p (1280x720), VGA (640x480), HS 120 (640x480, 120fps), HS 60 (1280x720, 60fps), HS 15 (1920x1080, 15fps)
Exposure Metering System
224-segment matrix metering, Center-weighted metering
Auto (auto gain ISO 160-1600), Fixed range auto (ISO 160 to 400, 160 to 800), Manual selection: ISO 160, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200
Auto, Preset manual, Daylight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy, Flash
2 and 10 sec. duration
Flash Sync Modes
Auto, Auto with red-eye reduction, Off, Fill flash, Slow sync
Total of 26 languages: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12, AC Adapter EH-62F (optional)
Battery Life (on a fully charged battery)
Approx. 240 shots with EN-EL12 battery (based on CIPA standard); Movies: Approx. 1 h 05 min (HD 1080p)
Approx. 103.0 x 58.3 x 32.0 mm excluding projections
Supplied Accessories (may differ by country or area)
Camera Strap AN-CP19, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL12, Charging AC Adapter EH-69P, USB Cable UC-E6, Audio Video Cable EG-CP16, View NX 2 CD
Weight (without batteries and memory card)
Approx. 189g (Weight with battery and memory card)