This lens offers the best of two worlds: incredibly nuanced bokeh and high resolution. Even at maximum aperture, the AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G delivers exceptional resolution from edge to edge. The lens features innovations such as the exclusive Silent Wave Motor (SWM) and Nano Crystal Coat for superior image quality and performance. Its ultra-fast f/1.4 maximum aperture and rounded nine-blade diaphragm deliver smoother bokeh and increased depth-of-field.
With its medium-telephoto focal length and astounding image quality, the AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.4G is ideal for portraits and general photography. Its ultra-fast f/1.4 maximum aperture produces a stunning bokeh effect that will beautifully isolate your subjects. Featuring a rounded nine-blade diaphragm, this lens produces natural and smooth background defocusing. Low-light performance and clarity are also enhanced by the wide aperture.
This lens delivers impressive performance in studio or outdoors, in bright light or at night. Its lens elements feature our Nano Crystal Coat technology to effectively minimise ghosting and lens flare. For superb colour and contrast, our Super Integrated Coating (SIC) enhances the flow of light through the lens. Complementing these technologies is the Silent Wave Motor (SWM), which provides extremely smooth, quiet and precise auto-focusing for both general shooting as well as extreme situations. The lens also features a handy M/A mode for seamless switching from autofocus to manual operation.
Adoption of a maximum aperture of f/1.4 and rounded diaphragm (9 blades) enables the expression of bright and beautiful blur characteristics. The lens exhibits excellent rendering capability with shooting all distances, from close-up to infinity, making it especially suited to portrait photography. It is also an excellent choice for shooting in relatively dark situations, such as indoors or for capturing night landscapes.
• A new optical design that makes the most of the performance expected of the latest fast fixed focal length NIKKOR lens
• Nano Crystal Coat adopted to significantly reduce ghost and flare
• Equipped with a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for extremely quiet autofocusing
• Equipped with two focus modes, M/A and M, as well as a new and improved manual focus drive mechanism
• The lens offers two focus modes, M/A (autofocus with manual override) and M (manual). In addition, the new and improved manual focus drive mechanism reduces manual focus time lag for improved manual focus operation in M/A mode.
• Nikon’s internal focusing (IF) system has been adopted with no increase in the length of the lens
Lens Construction (Elements/Groups)
10 elements / 9 groups (including elements with Nano Crystal Coat)
Picture Angle with 35mm (135) format
Picture Angle with Nikon DX Format
Closest focusing distance
Maximum reproduction ratio
Filter Attachment Size
Dimensions (approx.) (from the cameraâ€™s lens mounting flange)
86.5 x 84 mm
Supplied Accessories (may differ by country or area)
Front Lens Cap LC-77, Rear Lens Cap LF-1, Bayonet Hood HB-55, Flexible Lens Pouch CL-1118